You might be surprised that the Apple App Store boasts over two million apps to enthrall users – but for some, that’s not enough. And unfortunately, Apple doesn’t allow users to install third-party apps and app stores.
Jailbreaking iPhone is the sole way to enjoy your desired apps on your iPhones. It involves replacing or modifying the key components of Apple’s iOS operating system with custom applications.
But before you get tempted to do the same, be mindful that iPhone jailbreaking voids active Apple warranties and puts you out of their shield.
Do you still want to jailbreak your device? Get Cydia iOS now and open your device to several possibilities beyond what Apple typically permits.
Table of Contents
What is Cydia for iOS?
Cydia is a package manager app that installs software packages on jailbroken iOS devices. With Cydia, you aren’t necessarily bound to Apple’s App Store.
It is only available for jailbroken devices and allows you to replicate functionality already found on the device or use it in ways that might damage it.
Cydia contains apps that you cannot find on the App Store. One of its popular offerings switches Bluetooth on or off so you can get to it quickly without searching through Settings or pulling up the iPad’s Control panel.
It mainly offers a graphical interface to jailbroken users using Advanced Packaged Tool repositories.
What Are the Prerequisites to Download Cydia for iOS 8.x?
Let’s avoid beating around the bush and finding the prerequisites to install Cydia on your jailbroken devices.
Here we go.
- A spare iPhone or iPad jailbroken on iOS 8.x.
- Backup the device on which you wish to install the Cydia iOS.
- A PC or Mac connected to the same WiFi hotspot as your iOS device. It is vital for SFTPing your Cydia file.
How to Get Cydia for iOS 8.x – The Key Steps to Follow
Now that you’ve got the basics, it’s time to map out the step-by-step instructions to download Cydia for iOS 8.x.
Before we jump into the process, users are suggested to download and install the OpenSSH beforehand to avoid any last-minute hassle.
Here’s how to install OpenSSH.
- Connect your iOS device to the WiFi network and tap the Pangu icon on your home screen.
- Click on the OpenSSH option and tap the Install button on the top right-hand corner of the display. Let the OpenSSH installation complete before moving forward.
When the OpenSSH installation is completed, it’s time to install Cydia for iOS 8.x.
Here are the steps to follow.
- Make the backup of your device, as Cydia won’t guarantee your device’s content.
- Open the Safari browser and download the latest Cydia .deb file using the reliable link. Also, download cydia-Iproj file from here.
- Once the .deb files are downloaded, you must SFTP the file. Click Cyberduck on macOS and WinSCP on Windows to SFTP your file.
- Navigate your iPhone Settings and scroll down to WiFi.
- Find the hotspot that both your device and PC are connected to. Tap the “i” button and note the IP address.
- Key in the IP address and use root for the username and alpine for the password, using your designated SFTP client.
- Drop the .deb file in the root folder when the file browser appears on the screen.
- Start the SSH command line session using Ctrl+T on Mac and ⌘ + T on Windows.
- Finally, run the following commands sequence-wise.
dpkg -i cydia-lproj_1.1.12_iphoneos-arm.deb
dpkg -i cydia_1.1.13_iphoneos-arm.deb
- Reboot your device, and you have successfully downloaded Cydia for iOS 8.x.
Frequently Answered Questions
Q. Is Downloading Cydia for iOS 8.x Safe?
Ans. No, not at all. The downside of having an open app store is the ability for developers to add malicious apps. Hence, it’s easier for developers to go to Cydia and upload inappropriate applications and tweaks, making this interface unsafe.
Q. Are There Pirated Apps on Cydia?
Ans. Yes, of course. While the Cydia store is not intended for piracy, users can provide additional sources for pirated apps.
Cydia is solely introduced to open iPhone users to the universe of third-party games and tweaks.
But while it sounds satisfying and tempting at first glance, the process is a tad tricky and voids your active Apple warranties – after which you can’t seek Apple’s assistance for any device issues.
Moreover, Cydia makes it easier for developers to upload malicious apps, thus putting your device’s security at stake. Ultimately, we only encourage users to download Cydia for iOS 8.x.
But if you are courageous enough to leave the Apple shield, follow the steps above and lose yourself in the world of apps and games.